Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Patio

How does one define happiness? How do knowing adults stay happy? Do we find it in religion? Do we find it by ignoring the troubles of our world? How does one stay happy?



I sat outside on a patio today. Around me, businessmen, children, mothers, and the homeless walked about. Some sat, briefly, and when they did, they seemed to have a peace to them. Their briefcase wasn’t open and they weren’t talking to the air in front of them. Sitting. Wondering what they were thinking plagued my mind. What was worse was the fact that two police helicopters and herd of police cars surrounded our very small patio. Gracefully, I looked around. I saw nothing to cause such a stir so I went right back to the unusual peacefulness that tacked the air. I thought to myself, “How small we are. We’re one atomic fragment of humanity. On the other side of the globe, the very police forces established to protect and serve are instead killing and severing their connection to life, as they know it.”



Anyone who keeps up with the news knows this, especially businessmen, yet they sit there with such innocence. How? Why? Are they pretending?



Two small children interrupted my distant thought. They laughed and danced around the table where their mother sat. It’s clear that a child’s innocence is key to happiness. They don’t know what’s going on at that point. Tagging their competitor is what matters to them.



As the sirens dwindled into the distance, my time of observing was drawing to a close. Soon the businessmen left their separate tables and went of to work. The mother took her children to wherever they needed to be. Yet, I felt incomplete. Immediately, I had no answer to my questions, but now I might be able to understand, to understand that I am human, and that things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment